Castello d’Este in Ferrara opens its doors for free on International Women Day
Castello d’Este was commissioned by Nicolò II d’Este in 1385. Photo and article about International Women Day by l’Italo Americano
Ferrara’s towering castle was commissioned by Nicolò II d’Este in 1385: initially, it was intended to protect him and his family from the town’s irate citenzes, who were ready to protest over tax increases, but in the late 15th century it became the family’s permanent residence.
A few rooms, including the royal suites, are now open to visitors, such as the Sala dei Giganti (Giants’ Room) and Salone dei Giochi (Games Salon), the Cappella di Renée de France and the claustrophobic dungeon . In 1425 Duke Nicolò III d’Este had his young second wife, Parisina Malatesta, and his son, Ugo, beheaded after discovering they were lovers.
Linked to the castle, the 13th-century crenellated Palazzo Municipale was the Este family home until they moved next door to the castle in the late 15th century. Nowadays, it’s largely occupied by administrative offices but you can wander around its courtyards.