Fish recipe: Filetti di orata alle mele verdi e pepe rosa
Fish Recipe: Freshwater Bass/Bream slices with green apple and pink peppercorns By Daniele Sorice (Caserta/Italy)
Ingredients to make dish for two people:
(1) Pesce (Orata) – grammi 400/500 (Bream Fish** about 1 pound of fish in two filets)
The Sunfishes are a family of freshwater fish that includes many fishes such as rock bass, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, and bluegill.
(2) Mela verde (tipo smith) – n.1 (1 green apple: type Smith)
(3) Pepe rosa in salamoia – q.b. (quanto basta) (pink peppercorns in brine – Note from Lina: if not available, simply substitute any kind of whole peppercorns to taste)
(4) Limone – n.2 ( 2 lemons )
(5) Peperoncino piccante – n.1 (1 hot pepper)
(6) Timo essiccato – q.b. (quanto basta) (dried thyme to taste)
Cipolla – n.1 ( 1 onion )
Olio extra vergine di oliva- q.b. (Extra Virgin Olive oil to taste)
Vino bianco secco e sale – q.b.(Dry white wine and salt to taste)
(A) Forbici per taglio pinne ( Shears to trim fins)
(B) Coltello per taglio frutta ( Knife to cut fruit )
(C) Coltello per sfilettare il pesce (Filet knife)
(D) Saponetta in acciaio inox per pulizia mani (stainless steel soap, if available. Note from Lina: substitute a mild hand soap and scrubber)
Fillet the fish and eliminate residual spines with the help of the shears.
Dip these ingredients in lemon juice for about 30 minutes: fish fillets, sliced apple, thyme and pink peppercorns in brine.
Put the green apple slices, sliced onion and chili pepper in a frying pan and let cook for 3 minutes over high heat.
Add the two fish fillets, mixing them with the onion and apple, add a “spruzzata" ("splash") of dry white wine that is cooked “VIVACISSIMA” (" very lively") until the wine evaporates.
Note from Lina: the point is to add a small amount of white wine as the fish filets cook and not to slowly stew the fish in the wine.
Serve hot, garnished with a slice green apple and lemon beside the cooking condiments, to one side of the fish, as shown. "Irrorare" ("spray") with a drizzle of raw Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil.